Photos from Blackburn, Darwen and East Lancashire – Past and Present
The Closure of Blackburn Boulevard
The Demolition of Blackburn Market
The Lost Pubs of Blackburn
Kings Arms Blackburn
The Star & Garter
The Star & Garter was situated on Railway Road, being renamed The Boulevard just prior to closure.
The Legs O'Man was situated at 1 Darwen Street. Owned and let by Blackburn Cathedral Authorities, as it was in the Cathedral Grounds. Supplied by William Youngers of Edinburgh.
The Mill Gap Darwen
The Cemetery Hotel was situated on Whalley New Road and is now an Indian restaurant. Since demolished and being redeveloped.
Blackburn Town Centre
Blackburn Cathedral Lantern Tower
Blackburn Town Centre
Entrance to Corporation Park, Blackburn
Blackburn's Panopticon, Colourfields
Blackburn in the Past
Blackburn Cathedral - Under construction 1957
An interesting view of the cathedral with the lantern tower missing and the tops of the spires on the front tower removed. Notice the difference between the old and new stone of the building
Blackburn Royal Visit 1905
A scene in Railway Road taken on 30th September 1905 on the visit of Pricess Lousie
Technical College 1903
Now part of Blackburn college. Notice the grand railings and entrance that have since been removed.
Market House and Clock Tower
The old market hall and impressive clock tower with the rising and falling ball.
Whalley Viaduct 1906
Known locally as "Whalley Arches", Whalley Viaduct is a 48-span railway bridge. It was built between 1846 and 1850 under the engineering supervison of Terrence Wolfe Flanagan. It is a red brick arch stucture and the longest and largest railway viaduct in Lancashire. It carried the Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Yorkshire Railway 21.3m over the river for 620m.
Over 7 million bricks and 12,338 cubic metres of stone were used in construction. 3,000m of timber were used for the arch centring, temporary platforms and the permanent foundation piles. During construction on 6 October 1849, two of the 41 arches then completed collapsed, with the loss of three lives.
The east side of the bridge, nearest the remains of the Abbey, has the only decorative treatment.
Blackburn Multiview 1912
2 scenes from Queen's Park and the Town Hall with wonderful lamp posts on the walls surrounding the building.