Heritage Open Days are coming to Blackburn and will see a whole range of heritage activities taking place from Thursday 12th September to Sunday 15th September.
Just one of the many events sees local independent retailer, Ainsworth’s Jewellers make available an exhibition with photographs and memorabilia of Blackburn’s oldest retail business. It features the family firm which has been trading since 1870, over 140 years!
The exhibition is open on 12 September from 9am – 1pm, 13 September 9am – 5pm and 14 September 9am – 5pm.
Other events taking place include:
- Tours of BBC Radio Lancashire
- Children’s Activities at Blackburn Cathedral
- Blackburn History Society Archives on display in Blackburn Market
- An open day at Blackburn Masonic Halls
- A behind the scenes tour at Blackburn Museum
- An open day at Blackburn Subscription Bowling Club
- A history walk at Blackburn Old Cemetery
- The opening of Holy Trinity Church
- A behind the scenes tour at King George’s Hall
- An open day event at Blackburn Orphanage
- An exhibition featuring the Blackburn Giant at Mercer’s toy shop
- An open event at Blackburn Town Hall
A brochure featuring all the activities is available from Blackburn Visitor Centre in Blackburn Market along with an activity trail for children. We will be featuring more of these events over the coming days. You can discover more at http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/ . You should note that all these events are free, but some may require to be pre-booked.
Blackburn Life are pleased to have been involved with helping to organise some of these events, which have seen local businesses and organisations arrange a great range of heritage events in a relatively short space of time.